Monday, April 20, 2009

Writer Resources: Where to Look for Freelance Writing Jobs

Most new writers don't like to market themselves and most aren't very consistent at job hunting, which is a shame. Marketing and job hunting--both necessary activities for becoming a successful writer--are best done on a regular basis, EVEN when you're busy. No, especially when you're busy!

It's too easy to put off your marketing strategies when you have projects at hand and deadlines looming. The problem is, though, if you don't keep up with the marketing and job hunting, you'll find yourself--at the end of your projects--without anything to do. Then you panic!

Been there, done that, but have learned my lesson.

My strategy, today, is to spend every Monday marketing, job hunting, sending out LOIs (Letters of Introduction) and submitting queries. I spend the whole day doing these activities, and for the most part, they've helped to keep the assignments rolling in.

Here is a list of resources for job hunting, submitting queries and sending out LOIs:

Craigslist...Some crappy jobs here, but some good ones too.

Freelance Writing Jobs for Web and Print...This is a blog with good info and job postings from different job boards.

ProBlogger... This is a blogging job board.

mediabistro.com...Lots of info here, plus jobs. Lots of free stuff, but if you want full access, pay for membership.

Freelance Writing Jobs...Lots of great info here too.

Writer's Market...I use this resource online, though you can buy a hard copy in the book store. This is a good tool for finding trade magazines to send LOIs to and for finding magazines that you can pitch article ideas to.

What are some of your favorite resources for finding work?

1 comment:

  1. Good day,

    This is just an invitation, i am really sorry for intruding here. I just want to gather some views and learn more. Also I want to invite you to my seo contest hosted on my blog http://heartratewatchcompany.com/blog. I am new to blogging and hoping you could share any comments and suggestions. Negative or postive comments are very much welcome. I have facebook link on my blog, please have time to view my profile. As a pay of respect, I already submitted your link to my onlywire.com account.

    Good Luck and Thank You!

    Sincerely,
    Rusty Squire

    ReplyDelete

Custom Search